This strategy involves closely monitoring the cancer’s progression through regular medical check-ups, imaging, and periodic biopsies. It aims to avoid treatments like surgery or radiation therapy if possible and your urologist will monitor you closely and make decisions about your treatment when required.
The Role of Men’s Health Physiotherapy in Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer
How can Physiotherapy assist you during your Active Surveillance?
1. Urinary Continence Management: One of the potential side effects of prostate cancer and its treatments is urinary incontinence. East Gosford Physio can help you strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, which play a crucial role in bladder control. Through tailored exercises and strategies, patients can enhance their urinary continence, allowing them to better manage this aspect of their health.
2. Sexual Function Improvement: Active surveillance involves regular monitoring, which can be emotionally taxing for patients. East Gosford Physio can offer guidance on exercises and techniques that aid in maintaining or improving sexual function, focusing on the pelvic muscles and promoting blood flow to the area.
3. Pelvic Pain Management: Some individuals undergoing active surveillance may experience pelvic pain or discomfort. Our Men’s Health physios are skilled in assessing and addressing pelvic pain through a variety of manual techniques, stretches and exercises that target specific areas of concern.
4. Psychological Support: The journey through active surveillance can be emotionally challenging. Our Men’s Health Physiotherapists understand the challenging issues associated with Prostate cancer and provide a safe space for patients to discuss their concerns and feelings relating to their condition. This psychological support can contribute to improved mental well-being and overall quality of life.
5. Help with improving Fitness and strength: East Gosford Physio has developed a program to help men stay fit and well through their cancer journey. Our program -Back on Track is ideally suited to men who need some advice on exercise and help with motivation to exercise. We can then direct you to our Keep Moving – Strong Survivors program which is a safe and effective exercise class available for men under Active Surveillance to keep exercising in a fun and social environment.